Job role: Befriending Officer (24-month contract)
Location: Dearne, Barnsley
Salary: £20,138 per annum, pro rata (plus mileage allowance) on 30 hours per week contract (22.5 days annual leave incl. Bank Holidays and 2% pension contribution)
Application deadline: Monday 20th August at 12pm GMT (midday)
Start date: 17th September 2018
B:Friend (registered charity number: 1171148) pairs volunteer befrienders with socially isolated older neighbours to visit once a week for a cuppa and a chat. We aim to reduce loneliness among older members of the community and have an impact on secondary outcomes of isolation including onset of dementia, depression and hospital readmission.
Along with 1:1 befriending, b:Friend host weekly Social Club sessions offering peer support and group activities for the community. Activities vary from guest speakers, to craft sessions, to quizzes and games – all with the intention of engaging older neighbours who face social isolation.
Funded by the Barnsley Council and Nesta.
Delivering the 1:1 befriending project, this role will require regular travel across the Dearne area to meet with volunteers, older neighbours and facilitate pairings. The Befriending Officer will be the first-contact for the 1:1 befriending project and provide support for our volunteers and older neighbours.
This post will also deliver and oversee two Social Club groups each of which are two-hours in duration. Activities, events and away-days will be planned and delivered by the Befriending Officer, and sessional staff, at Social Clubs which provide older neighbours, across the Dearne area, the opportunity to socialise once-a-week.
The successful candidate will:
• Lead the delivery of the 1:1 befriending project
• Manage the day-to-day relationships with new and existing organisational stakeholders
• Be jointly responsible for designing and delivering two Social Clubs per week
• Support the delivery of other Social Club groups across the Dearne area
• Administer our vital registers and records which track attendance, interactions, relationships and group activities along with demographic data
• Communicate regularly with volunteers through high quality email, text and other digital media channels, and older neighbours by phone and in person
• Talk passionately about our social clubs and the rest of our work at our regular induction evenings for new volunteers
• To carry out requests for references and Criminal Records Bureau checks.
• By facilitating initial introductions and providing on-going support (if required) in conjunction with the manager of the specific project.
• To be an effective community fundraiser supporting income generation targets
• To raise public awareness on issues relevant to the community and older people, publicise information and promote opportunities for older people to be involved in campaigns, consultations and community affairs
This is a varied and dynamic role in which you will work with various stakeholders fundamental to the success of b:Friend.
We are therefore looking for an all-rounder: a real people-person with a warm, open personality and someone wanting to make a lasting contribution to a growing charity working on one of the defining issues of our time.
Please see specification document for essential and desirable skills >> Job Specification – Befriending Officer Dearne
How to apply:
To apply for this role please email firstname.lastname@example.org quoting job reference BO2018BAR.
Please submit your CV and a cover letter explaining your strengths and motivation for applying for this position.
Application deadline: Monday 20th August 2018 at 12pm GMT (midday)
Interview date: 30th August 2018
Please return your documents no later than the dates and times referenced above as applications received after this time will not be considered. Any questions or if you’d like to discuss the role, please call: 07523 698530